VTEC® technology: Smooth acceleration and power.
BF250, BF225, BF150, BF90
Honda’s Variable Valve Timing & Lift Electronic Control (VTEC®) system
provides power where and when you need it.
VTEC is the “replacement for displacement.”
- Outstanding performance without the inferior low rpm fuel efficiency of larger displacement
- Broader, flatter torque curve
- Smooth power delivery throughout the engine’s operating range.
How does VTEC work?
VTEC varies the lift and duration of the intake valves to deliver optimal performance
at both low and high rpm, resulting in peak performance at all speeds.
VTEC uses two cam lobe profiles to operate the intake valves.
- The low-lift, short duration cam lobes (shown in red) provide strong torque at low
- At higher rpm, a synchronizing piston engages the third rocker arm on a high-lift
cam (in blue). All three rocker arms are locked together. The intake valves
are open for a longer period of time to produce more power.
- This results in a superior combination of power, torque and fuel efficiency.